A Career as a Systems Administrator
System Administrators, or sysadmins, are responsible for the upkeep, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems. They perform regular systems and security monitoring, handle backup procedures and help to set up, maintain and delete user accounts as required. They are also responsible for developing and maintaining relevant procedures and standards.
To be a successful Systems Administrator you will need to have great people skills. As you will interact with people in so many areas of IT and business, people skills are just as necessary as your technical abilities. The ability to work under pressure, read a situation as it unfolds and make quick decisions that yields the best result for all involved is also crucial to the role.
There are a number of different types of Systems Administrators including:
- Computer Technicians,
- Network Support Technicians,
- Systems Engineers and
- Network Engineers.
A career as a Systems Administrator opens the door to a number of different roles including becoming a Chief Information Officer, a Senior Network Administrator or a Senior Systems Administrator.
In order to become a Systems Administrator you will need a B.Sc. degree in Information Technology, a BA degree in Information Technology, a B.Sc. degree in Computer Science, a BA degree in Computer Science or a MCSA Certification.
Skills required include:
- Knowledge of VMWare ESX, Microsoft SQL Server, Linux, Internet Information Server, Active Directory, SQL, Microsoft Exchange, Python and Perl.
- Installing and configuring software and hardware.
- Managing network servers and technology tools.
- Setting up accounts and workstations.
- Monitoring performance and maintaining systems according to requirements.
- Troubleshooting issues and outages.
- Ensuring security through access controls, backups and firewalls.
- Upgrading systems with new releases and models.
- Developing expertise to train staff on new technologies.
- Building an internal wiki with technical documentation, manuals and IT policies.
Global Lead has a large database of highly skilled technology professionals in Cape Town and Johannesburg, while always being on the lookout for fresh talent with in-demand skill sets . We effectively and efficiently drive business results because we are well networked in the IT community throughout South Africa, and our expert IT recruiters understand how quickly the competitive parameters can shift. Whether you are looking for the next step in your IT career, or you are a company seeking the best in the field, Global Lead is the perfect strategic partner to connect you with the experience you need.