A Career as a Support Engineer
Support Engineers, also known as technical Support Engineers, answer incoming phone calls and emails from customers to address any questions, suggestions or concerns they may have regarding their company’s products and services. They serve as experts in the products that their company manufactures and develops and also report defects or offer suggestions for product improvement. Through their investigations, Support Engineers contribute to product knowledge and help to make future technical support easier.
An important part of a Support Engineer’s job is to communicate with other departments within their company and customers on a regular basis, so both oral and written communication skills are very important. They also need to have excellent troubleshooting, problem-solving and analytical skills. Support Engineers must be technically knowledgeable when it comes to their company’s products and have the ability to learn about new technologies quickly.
There are a number of different types of Support Engineers including:
- Field Support Engineers,
- Field Service Technicians and
- Helpdesk Technicians.
A career as a Support Engineer can lead to many exciting career opportunities including becoming a Senior Technical Support Engineer, and a Helpdesk Manager.
In order to become a Support Engineer you will require one or more of the following qualifications – a B.Sc. in Information Technology or a B.Sc. in Computer Science.
Skills required include:
- Knowledge of Windows Operating System, TeamViewer, Microsoft Office, UNIX and Linux.
- Taking ownership of customer issues reported and seeing problems through to resolution.
- Researching technical issues.
- Researching, diagnosis, troubleshooting and identifying solutions to resolve customer issues.
- Following standard procedures for proper escalation of unresolved issues to the appropriate internal teams.
- Managing and processing customer orders.
- Providing prompt and accurate feedback to customers.
- Walking customers through solutions.
- Filing reports regarding product problems and ensuring proper recording and closure of all issues.
- Reviewing product change requests.
- Preparing accurate and timely reports.
- Documenting knowledge in the form of knowledge base tech notes and articles.
- Learning about product updates and new technologies.
Global Lead has a large database of highly skilled technology professionals in Cape Town and Johannesburg, while always being on the lookout for fresh talent with in-demand skill sets. We effectively and efficiently drive business results because we are well networked in the IT community throughout South Africa, and our expert IT recruiters understand how quickly the competitive parameters can shift. Whether you are looking for the next step in your IT career, or you are a company seeking the best in the field, Global Lead is the perfect strategic partner to connect you with the experience you need.