A Career as a Network Engineer
A Network Engineer is a technology professional who has the necessary skills to plan, implement and support the computer networks that support in-house voice, data, and video and wireless network services. Unlike network administrators, who perform day-to-day support, Network Engineers focus on high-level design and planning. They select the appropriate data communications components and configure them to meet user and corporate needs.
To be a great Network Engineer you will need to be a confident communicator and possess excellent attention to detail, analytical and problem-solving skills
There are a number of different types of network engineers including:
- Network Architects,
- Network Support Technicians and
- Network Administrators.
A career as a Network Engineer opens the door to a number of different roles including becoming an IT Manager, a Senior Systems Engineer or a Senior Network Administrator.
In order to become a Network Engineer you will need a Degree in Computer Science, a CCNP Certification, a CCIE Certification or a CISSP Certification.
Skills required include:
- Knowledge of OSI, TCP/IP, Cisco Networking, Microsoft Exchange and Internet Information Server.
- Configuring and installing various network devices and services (e.g. routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, QoS).
- Performing network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hotfixes and security configurations.
- Monitoring performance and ensuring system availability and reliability.
- Monitoring system resource utilisation, trending, and capacity planning.
- Providing Level-2/3 support and troubleshooting to resolve issues.
- Working within established configurations and changing management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure.
- Selecting and implementing security tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with the company’s security team
- Liaising with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution.
Global Lead has a large database of highly skilled technology professionals in Cape Town and Johannesburg, while always being on the lookout for fresh talent with in-demand skill sets . We effectively and efficiently drive business results because we are well networked in the IT community throughout South Africa, and our expert IT recruiters understand how quickly the competitive parameters can shift. Whether you are looking for the next step in your IT career, or you are a company seeking the best in the field, Global Lead is the perfect strategic partner to connect you with the experience you need.