A Career as a Database Administrator
A Database Administrator, or DBA as they are frequently known, is a critical part of the Information Technology department of a company. DBAs use specialized software to store and organize data, primarily making sure that the company’s databases are always maintained and performing well.
The role of a DBA includes creating, installing, configuration and database design. They also do capacity planning, performance monitoring, maintenance, troubleshooting, user rights assignment, and database security as well as backup and data recovery. The role requires technical training and expertise in the specific RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) used by the company they are employed by.
To be a great DBA you will need to be highly organized and have excellent problem-solving skills, work with a high level of accuracy and attention to detail, and have the ability to work quickly and remain calm under pressure.
A career as a DBA opens the door to a number of different roles including becoming a Senior Database Administrator, BI Analyst, Systems Administrator, Data Analyst, Project manager, IT Consultant.
In order to become a DBA, you will need a technology related certification such as a Diploma in Information Technology, Degree in Computer Science, a Degree in Information Systems or a Degree in Information Technology.
Skills required include:
- Knowledge of UNIX, Linux, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL, PL/SQL, MySQL, SSAS, SSIS, SSRS.
- Building database systems of high availability and quality depending on each end user’s specialized role.
- Designing and implementing databases in accordance with end users information needs and views.
- Defining users and enabling data distribution to the right user, in the appropriate format and in a timely manner.
- Using high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data.
- Minimizing database downtime and managing parameters to provide fast query responses.
- Providing proactive and reactive data management support and training to users.
- Determining, enforcing and documenting database policies, procedures and standards.
- Performing tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity.
- Monitoring database performance, implementing changes and applying new patches and versions when required.
Global Lead has a large database of highly skilled technology professionals in Cape Town and Johannesburg, while always being on the lookout for fresh talent with in-demand skill sets . We effectively and efficiently drive business results because we are well networked in the IT community throughout South Africa, and our expert IT recruiters understand how quickly the competitive parameters can shift. Whether you are looking for the next step in your IT career, or you are a company seeking the best in the field, Global Lead is the perfect strategic partner to connect you with the experience you need.